A night of sports, stories and fun with Eunoia Junior College Floorball.

On 22nd March 2019, Eunoia Junior College Floorball collaborated with Gift of Reading and prepared a special event for the children during session. The special event showcased game spirit through stories, with the goal of emulating esprit de corps through friendship and camaraderie. We are glad to see that the event indeed achieved its purpose, and the children genuinely enjoyed the event planned specially for them.

Let’s hear what Michael, a member of Eunoia Junior College Floorball, has to share from his takeaways through this special collaboration!


"The experience I had interacting with children at Taman Jurong CC was heartwarming. Coming into the programme, I didn’t know what to expect, having had no prior experience dealing with so many children. When our first session came, we had to arrive an hour earlier to prepare for the session. As the time came for session to begin, I saw a sea of young children outside the doors. At the time I had my worries. But as the children came in and we played activities, I found myself becoming more able to adapt to the atmosphere.






We played games and sang nursery songs - things that brought back sweet memories from our own childhood. We did colouring exercises, drawing activities, and got the chance to read books to them. 


We learnt that in doing such activities, it’s really not about the content but the delivery to the children. They learn, draw, think, and even act in their own unique ways. It was important to cater the experience for all the children. In contrast with the usual VIA activities we had previously (things like interacting with elderly, or visiting HDB households), this new VIA opportunity was something entirely new to all of us.





As sessions went by we got to meet a wide spectrum of children - there were obedient, stubborn, and hyperactive ones just to list a few. I found myself having to adapt my approach between being kind and being strict on them. Despite the trouble that some of them gave me, pacifying them gave me a great sense of achievement. With children, you have to be patient but firm with some of them. 




I guess I never knew how troublesome it was to deal with the ever changing needs of children (their behaviours really change a lot). No matter how tiring it was, I always felt happy to deal with the children, no matter how stubborn or frustrating they could be.


After about 4 one-hour-sessions with the aid of facilitators, we led our finale event as a conclusion to the programme. By then I had grown to be fond of the children and how endearing they could be. I’ll always remember when one of them ran back into the room and ‘tackle-hugged” me. The last session (which lasted 1.5 hours) which was solely led by the floorballers, we taught them about our sport, and let them try it out safely. We also conducted a skit to teach them about sportsmanship and perseverance. I was especially glad when they laughed and cheered and got involved. Throughout this entire experience, it was wonderful to see my friends and the children smiling and laughing and being so cheerful. I felt glad to be able to bring joy to their lives.


This opportunity, I feel, was more than just VIA hours, more than just a mere experience. Beyond that, it was a truly valuable learning point, teaching us to cherish and deal with a child’s behaviour. It made us more patient, understanding and empathetic, helping us understand the needs of these children."



We would also like to take this opportunity to thank the Eunoia JC Floorball team for organising this event and providing the children a fulfilling experience. Without their hardwork, this event wouldn't have been possible. Cheers!

Comments

Popular Posts